Sunday, August 31, 2008

Wicked.

I went to watch Wicked yesterday with Sophia. For the unitiated, Wicked is a stage musical show chronicling the life of the Wicked Witch of the West from her point of view (yes, the one from Oz!).

This is my first time watching a show of this kind, so needless to say, I was acting a little bit 38 during the whole time, gawking at the set. The extent of my 38-ness also includes me thinking that everyone was leaving during the intermission, because a whole bunch of people stood up and walked out of the theatre. I know now that they were just going to the bathroom (because there was a long line when I went.). I took a photo (I'll upload it later), but only one, since I thought that the ushers would take my camera away or something. I found out later that they would just ask you to KEEP IT. Crap.

So, on with the about-show. It paints the Elphaba, the Wicked Witch in a far much better light, saying that she was a victim of circumstance (propaganda, more like), and that she wasn't really bad to begin with.

She wasn't really bad to end with, anyway.

To be honest... I. Loved. It. Period. The songs aren't bad, but the storyline is fantastic.

I was OhMyGod-ing all the way through Act II, which ties in with Dorothy's coming to Oz, and the origins of her three comrades. It also shows how the flying monkeys came to be, how the Wicked Witch of the East got her infamous Ruby Slippers, and how her death by Barn-Falling was no accident. And don't forget, who Elphaba's real father is (because her parents are both white, she is green).

And... HAPPY ENDING! She didn't die. She manages to reunite with her lover, and they both run off.

Thuh End.

Tickets were $113 a pop, and Sophia and I manage to get the last two seats in the show because someone returned their tickets. Anyway, yay for us!

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment