Monday, April 7, 2008

Terry Pratchett's The Colour Of Magic: Part 1 (2008)

Now I'm reviewing the TV adaptation. Huh. It's supposed to be taken from The Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic, since both books are back-to-back and the second one's a direct continuation of the first one.

So I watched the first part of this online (Part 2 isn't up yet; not sure when it will be) instead of doing my assignments. Damn, I suck.

Anyway, I found that it was pretty good. David Jason's a bit (well, I guess 'a bit' is pretty much of an understatement) old to be Rincewind, but he plays the coward just fine. Sean Astin's perfect as the naive and simple Twoflower; only thing is, Twoflower's supposed to be Chinese, even though that fact is only established in Interesting Times, 16/17 books later. Christopher Lee is the voice of Death (so what's new? Haha.). Tim Curry's evil (as usual!) as Trymon, an overambitious wizard offing everybody so that he could be ArchChancellor, although The Light Fantastic describes him as 'young'. But anyway, love the guy.

As with all on-screen adaptations, they leave some bits of the book out. Like the Bel-Shamharoth part. I really wanted to see that massive tentacled thing and the green dryads. And Liessa's supposed to have MASSIVE RED CHESTNUT HAIR! She seems more exotic than anything in this show. And they left out the Sea Troll! But I love how they rendered the Great A'Tuin and the four elephants and the Discworld. That part was amazing.

The best part in this TV special is the Luggage. It's this massive chest with hundreds of legs (human legs) under it that it uses to walk about. And they brought it to screen perfectly! I just love the part where they show the Luggage toddling across the scenery, following Twoflower and Rincewind, and it was just so ADORABLE!!!11!one! My heart's melting right now...

Jeremy Irons as the Patrician! I mean, I'd already found that out ages ago by scouring Wikipedia, BUT... when I first found out, I was shocked. I mean... JEREMY IRONS! Even though he was out for like, 5 minutes, it was fun to watch him while it lasted. Haha.

I'm guessing that Part 2 would be more towards The Light Fantastic, even though they showed Trymon's ascension to power alongside the events in The Colour Of Magic. Watching Tim Curry offing people never fails to bring a smile to my face =)

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment