Monday, November 18, 2013

Re-watched Thor 2 last Wednesday...

...and surprisingly, I still enjoyed it.

[Trying to catch up on blog back-log! Back-blog! Argh!]

It hit me that Chris Hemsworth is pretty "steady" (to use a colloquial term), considering that he can hold his own against notorious scene-stealer Tom Hiddleston. I mean, as susceptible as I am to Hiddleston's charm, I realised that I didn't mind seeing Hemsworth at all for the majority of the movie.

[The part where he hangs Miu Miu Mjolnir on a coat hook is just precious!]

And it also hit me why I didn't get sick of the film the second time around: because of the Thor-Loki dynamic, from a non-fan girl standpoint. It makes them so bloody interesting to watch: Thor torn between familial bonds and his adopted brother's constant treachery, and Loki, befitting the other side of the coin, alternating between one-upping his brother and (sometimes!) seeming to do right by him.

Given Loki/Hiddleston's popularity, for profitability reasons it's safe to presume that a Loki spin-off is probably not far off. And as much as I would love to see Loki make mischief in an entire movie, my only misgiving is that I don't think that the spin-off would work.

Not unless the plot calls for Thor to play an active (albeit backseat) role in the film.

Sure, the fans (including myself) would throng the cinemas in droves. And Hiddleston, of course, would be blameless in anything (and, possibly for eternity, everything) he does. But in exploring (and expanding) more of Loki, giving him his own stand-alone adventure may not be as fulfilling as seeing him verbally/physically spar with/alongside his brother.

Take Riddick, fr'instance. I don't get why he's popular, but apparently people liked him so much from Pitch Black that he got his own Chronicles. And after that, it seems that the universe in that series was in cryo-stasis for nine years because we only got the sequel to that this year.

And to be fair, the reverse is the same for Thor. They have this symbiotic relationship with each other in the sense one wouldn't be interesting without the other. Especially with photos like these:

Priceless.
So, here's to hoping that Marvel gives us a fantastic Movie 3, and if there is a spin-off for Loki, here's to hoping that they've found a good storyline for him and that the movie doesn't suck.

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment