Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Coulson LIVES!!

But then again, Internet, this is old news. To chocolate fudge with spoiler warnings.

[Day 9. On track.]

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. made its way to our shores yesterday night. After looking forward to it for almost two weeks (because that was when I saw the commercial), I completely forgot about the show until my mother said, "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is up next."

[In response, I ran out of the room and left one slipper behind.]

With The Avengers, I learned to have faith in Joss Whedon (I'm unfamiliar with his stuff, even though it's famous), but I didn't have too high a hope in a series that looks like a rehash of Heroes or Mutant X.

And after seeing the pilot, I'm not far off, really. The only things that stood out for me were:

  • Agent Coulson
  • name-dropping and references from Marvel films like nobody's business. Continuity and Extremis for the win!
  • the abundance of humour. I was pleasantly surprised by this, though I shouldn't be, given the LOL-fest that was The Avengers.
  • less impending doom, which differentiates it from Heroes (not that I don't like impending doom), and
  • AGENT COULSON.
Anyone who says they watch this show for reasons other than Clark Gregg are totally lying.
Aside from the very interesting nugget slipped in at the start of the episode (apparently, Coulson "must never know" he was not recuperating in Tahiti), the rest of the pilot didn't exactly make me a believer. The show format looks to be mutant-of-the-week, and the characters are formulaic: you have the straight guy (Ward), the revered legend (Melinda May), the outsider-cum-new recruit (Skye), and the comic relief techie pair (Fitz-Simmons, whom you can also see in NCIS: Los Angeles).

Because of Agent Phil Coulson (and the possibility of other 'special guest stars' in future episodes), I will stay tuned. So there. Here's to hoping the rest of the season piques my interest.

[Tomorrow's post: OMG I JUST SAW RICHARD CLAYDERMAN LIVE IN CONCERT!!11!!1ONE.]

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment