Thursday, November 7, 2013

Jack The Giant Slayer (2013)

[Very short one today. Read on to find out why; it'll take you less than five.]

*very duper over-due*

I enjoyed this movie more than Oz: The Great and Powerful, though that enjoyment isn't helping me with this post right now. It was a bit slow in the beginning, and a lot less Technicolor-y but it wasn't as 'blah'.

[Unimaginative writing, I know, to rely on spelling out sounds rather than using actual words.]

But it all got VERY FUN in the second-half when the Giants rode the beanstalks down to Earth and started attacking people.

Another entry in the fairy tale variation genre, Jack seems more targeted for the kiddies as it's not as violent as Hansel and Gretel. There's also a love story somewhere in there that I didn't really care for (the girl can't act), but I enjoyed everyone else's performances. I also especially enjoyed Ewan McGregor and (an unrecognisable) Stanley Tucci, who play noble knight and metaphorically moustache-twirling villain respectively.

I always get a kick out of seeing actors having a blast on-screen (and I mean, actual blast, not acting blast). You can always tell with these things).

Aside from that, the CG for the Giants were a bit cartoon-y at times, though Bill Nighy as King Giant delivers yet another vocal performance that sounds like he's having a ton of fun, and... that sums up my impressions of the film. Even immediately after I saw the movie I didn't have much to write about, and since it's now eight months later, I think I'm worst off than I was in the first place.

I'll check it out when it airs on TV next year and hopefully I can add more to it.

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment