Thursday, March 6, 2008

YouTube.

For me, YouTube has got to be one of the best things on the Internet (right up with Google and email).

Over the past week, I've been watching Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (almost typed The Demon of Barber Street there. Haha.) on YouTube. The whole movie. Sure, it's chopped up into unorganized singing bits, but the nice person who uploaded the clips also put in the bits where important people died, so I guess you don't really miss much. Even the ending was uploaded, which is fantastic, since Watching The Ending is definitely better than Reading The Ending Description On Wikipedia. And I also watched the Stage Version and the Concert Version on YouTube, which is great.

Just yesterday, I found this extremely old movie way back from 1945 called The Picture Of Dorian Gray (based on Oscar Wilde's novel of the same name), which had a VERY young Angela Lansbury (that's Mrs. Potts, to you!) in a bit part. Anyway, watching the movie (that's how I spent my afternoon) sure as heck beats reading the book (even though I'd already read it already, some time after The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen came out), since they left out all the 'descriptive passages' and fillers that even literary enthusiasts would find tedious after a while. I liked it when they occasionally showed the portrait in colour (it's 1945; everything's black-and-white), but I thought it'd be cooler if the portrait was always in colour and everything else was B&W. But anyways, technology didn't really exist then yet (how Neanderthal of me to say this), and it was a pretty good movie. I felt that Dorian didn't look as young as I imagined him to be, but he definitely was delicate and effeminat-ish enough. One thing that didn't bode so well for me is the ending. Maybe I misinterpreted this part, but it seemed that Dorian was rather repentant, choosing to leave the girl before she could be corrupted before the pivotal end-event. Book Dorian was defiant to the end(!), and well... read the book and skip the long passages (and just scan over some of the dialogue). Love the way the book's ending was written.

After watching Dorian Gray, I proceeded to watch 21 (out of 26) episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series. Now, anime isn't my cup of tea, but since each episode's about 8 minutes at a maximum, and I've nothing to do (not that I don't have assignments up my sleeve or anything, I do, just that I'm not in the mood to start work on them yet). Funniest things I've ever seen, with so many pop culture references that I actually know of, and love. Couldn't stop laughing at Episode 19. The pop culture reference for that one is so obvious that it doesn't even have to slap you on the face to get your attention.

I think the only minor gripe I have with YouTube is the sound. Some of the videos (especially Dorian Gray's) were quite soft, even though I'd turned up the volume the whole way. I had to wear my earphones yesterday, which I'm not a big fan of, because it gives me a headache after a while.

Come to think of it, ALL things give me a headache after a while! Man...

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment