Monday, March 17, 2008

George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

So, I just finished it today. I borrowed it last week. Took me long enough, though. Hahaha. Back in high school, I could finish a 300-page book within school hours, provided I read it non-stop, during recess, and throughout lessons.

Anyway, to the, um, book(?) discussion. For me, it's a bit like V For Vendetta, since the timeline's supposed to be futuristic (the book's written in 1949, so I guess it's supposed to be predictive of what it'll be like in 1984) except you don't have this dude in a Guy Fawkes mask going around doing kung-fu and kicking people's asses. And the protagonist of 1984 went through a fate worse than death (I feel) in the end. But there are parallels. For instance, Big Brother runs the country, similar to V For Vendetta, where their totalitarian ruler is the Chancellor (ironically, John Hurt, who was the Chancellor in V For Vendetta, played Winston in the 1984 movie version of 1984.). 1984's set in London (although they call it Oceania in general), and so's V.

Without wanting to spoil too much of the book (I'm kinda lazy to write out the whole story now), I found it very intriguing, although I'd say my personal favourite of George Orwell's would be Animal Farm. Fantastic book about actual animals on a farm, instead of allegories or metaphors about animals. However, the book's pretty political, and it's not thick, so when I read it like, 6 years back, I didn't get sick of it. I did get sick of The Lord Of The Rings, though. That series was dull... but the third movie was great.

Speaking of books I haven't finished, I'm only a third-way through Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show. Not that it's boring; I just haven't been reading lately.

3 comebacks:

eunicetan said...

hey i-hsiang! :)

i think i took the longest time, relatively, to read animal farm despite it's thickness, or rather, lack thereof. LOL. amazing read nonetheless that i went to dl the e-book to read again hehe can't wait to get my hands on 1984 xD

BigFatLittlePiggy said...

Hey Eunice! :D

I can't remember how long it took me to read Animal Farm, although I DO remember the words were rather tiny. My mom had the bookstore order it because it wasn't on sale anywhere. Haha.
Enjoy your re-reading then! And let me know how you find 1984! xD

eunicetan said...

Oh the one I read was like super old and yellow in colour, it was a gift for my ex's dad when he was around our current age so you can imagine that it was about 20-30 years ago? Lol and just the size of a Peter+Jane book hehe

Post a Comment