Friday, October 12, 2007

Today's rant is based on: The culminations of one three-hour class.

Today, our lecturer asked us whether we could see 'the symbol of speed and accuracy' in the FedEx logo. Thinking that there was something more to those words, I basically squinted at the picture for 10 minutes, only to find out later on that the arrow I'd spotted in the 'Ex' is the bloody symbol. I'm still pretty confused. Mr. Tan said 'don't confuse FedEx with Roger Federer', and then proceeded to ask Sue Ann whether she knew who RogFed was. She didn't. Okay... He asked Su Ching. She didn't know either, then went on to say that Roger Federer is possibly the founder for FedEx. I can't help it, I laughed my ass off. For the uninitiated, Federer is a pretty famous tennis player. I, who don't watch tennis, even know that.

Later on, our lecturer said that some people thought that Timbuktu was in the North Pole, and then asked everyone whether we knew where that was (Timbuktu, that is). Since Sue Ann was sitting in front, the poor girl got called on again. She didn't know where that was. Su Ching got called on (again, as well), and she said 'Probably not in the North Pole.' Wei Lynn thought it was in Russia. Mr. Tan saw me snickering away, (what, am I not allowed to laugh at people who don't know where Timbuktu is?) and called me. 'Africa,' says I, and I was right. Honestly, I've known where Timbuktu was since I was like, 10, and I got that from watching The Aristocats. (Well, I didn't get that bit of info from The Aristocats. I heard 'Timbuktu', and I asked my mom where that was. THEN I found out).

(In case you're wondering why everything's so random, we're doing a topic called 'Critical Thinking,' which basically consists of IQ tests, and 'thinking out of the box' puzzles)

Mr. Tan then mentioned something about red herrings (honestly, I can't remember what led to that), and then asked us whether we knew what herrings were. I was thinking in the affirmative, but I.. don't think my classmates were. Either that, or they didn't want to be called upon by the lecturer (because he REALLY likes to call on the people sitting in front. I, on the other hand, park my huge hiney in the back, so that I can look upon the backs of those in the front). Anyway, he happened to spot Wei Lynn, and asked her whether she knew what a herring was. She didn't. I told her it was a fish, so she said that out, and all is well.

Mr. Tan also asked us whether we'd read Animal Farm (by George Orwell) or not, and I almost nodded my head off trying to get my lecturer to notice me. I think I nodded my head so hard, that I looked like a Bobblehead doll that's had too much sugar. I nodded so much that Wei Lynn started to look in my direction. Anyway, I think he saw me nodding my ass off, since he said 'for those of you who have read...'. YESH!!

Honestly, all those girls that I mentioned just now, were English-educated (meaning, they didn't speak Mandarin 99% of the time back in elementary and high school). Imagine that. I mean, don't they watch TV??!! I mean, come ON!!! Federer, maybe, Timbuktu, okay, but HERRING???!! IT'S A BLOODY FISH, FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! HOW COULD YOU HAVE NOT HEARD OF RED HERRINGS??!! Honestly!!

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment