Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Happy 30th (plus one week, give or take) anniversary, Apple!!

[This post is one week-plus late.]

I stumbled onto the Apple website last Saturday, and it took me down memory lane.


This was technically my first ever computer, because even though my dad bought it, I used it 95% of the time. He bought it in 1993 (I can’t recall the year myself, but the wall postings – don’t ask – say 12-3-93).

What I do remember is my dad borrowing his brother’s VCDs (in its advent) and one such VCD was Army of Darkness. How I re-discovered this movie in my teens is a story for another time.


Lil’ ol’ Malaysia. People used to get this blank look on their faces when I told them I used a Mac. When they asked me what it was, I told them, “Not PC.”

I always thought it was us tiny Mac users against the PC world. After a few years, ‘PC’ became ‘Windows’ and after that came ‘DOS’, which had the coolest-looking (in context) games that I couldn’t play on account of my having a Mac. ‘PC’ now stands for ‘personal computer’, generally referring to computers (or even laptops, I think) that aren’t business-owned or something, I’unno. I never bothered with the term.



My dad bought, and I read, a ton of MacFormat (and it’s still around!! Whooo!!) more for its games and 'edutainment' content than anything else, and playing a ton of game demos. I remember wanting Living Books (any Living Books, really), but only had to settle for demos where you can only play the first page. My childhood was mostly made up of demos.

Aside from MacFormat, I also read other mixed platform magazines, which had mostly PC/DOS games and nary a cross-platform one.


How time flies. And I’m really glad I was there for 21 of those years.

Happy 30th, Apple. Here’s to another 30 years of innovation, creativity, and awesomeness.

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment