Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's not about what you know...

...but who you know.

Sorry for the distinct lack of updates, just been busy with work the past couple of weeks. But, surprisingly, this time my apology is related to my post.

Only by way of category.

My application was rejected by Ernst & Young. Again.

I'd submitted one in April, got the generic Keep-In-View letter, and since my friends at work were called for interviews (TWO of them), I figured I'd give it another try and submit it again.

That was the first week of July-ish. I got the KIV letter again yesterday.

Granted, my application got in much later than everyone else's, and my theory is that EY hires every two months, which means my application was sent in much later than my friends', and thus, very most probably late for the August round.

I'm not saying that I'm entirely blameless in the matter.

But the least they could've done was to call me for an interview.

I heard from a friend that you stand a better chance of getting called (but not sure about hired) if you know someone on the inside, and get them to pass your resume on. He even went on to say that that was the case with a former classmate of ours, and subsequently, a few others.

It's like a chain letter, I feel.

I'm not saying I'm the perfect candidate (requirements on website state that co-curricular activitieswell-roundedness is of the essence, something of which I'm not).

But, I'd be lying if I said I was a lousy student.

I've never flunked a paper during my three years. The lowest mark I've received for a paper is 59, for Auditing, which is very ironic since I'm trying to make a career out of it (I'm not saying I've worked out the kinks yet, but I'm confident enough to say that I'm definitely better than I was before). I'm on the Dean's Merit List for 2009, and have a Distinction average.

So why is it that I have had NO REPLY, (or in EY's case, NO CALL) whatsoever from ANY of the Big 4 organisations?

The fact I have not been participating in out-of-school activities doesn't mean I suck at life. It doesn't hurt my mental capacity in any way, nor does it affect my physical self, or my health, or my happiness, even.

So I don't join clubs and societies. So what if I'm a bookworm.

Would that make me less than capable of carrying out my job?
I mean, it's two times already I didn't get called, you'd think I still haven't graduated yet.

even non-graduates stand a better chance of getting called than i do
For those who excel in studies and Outside Activities, hat's off to you all. For now, I'm hardly in your league, and I'm not being sarcastic here.
For those who just have Outside Activities, when pecking order's concerned, well, it's a tad bit unfair for the rest of us who just have studies, donchathink?

I will be sending in another job application maybe end of next week, since it's only beginning of August, and my previous application would still be, well, rather fresh. Maybe then, I'd be early (or considered to be early) enough for the October round.


If I had a friend working in EY, I'd be an AABS Associate by now.

2 comebacks:

eunicetan said...

are you applying to EY penang?

i was there. two years ago. i guess they were more easy and closed eyes with getting cheap vacation trainees like me. but i'm quite sure they hire associates like every few months.

good luck job hunting! :)

BigFatLittlePiggy said...

Yuppers :)

Oooo, good on you!! I heard trainees go through the same hiring process like regular applicants, so I'm not sure about 'more easy' :P:P
Plus, the economy is a great excuse nowadays. Which department were you in?

Thanks a lot! :D

Post a Comment