Wednesday, August 12, 2009

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009)

G.I. Joe was totally awesome! But... I'm all for action movies, so in terms of that, this movie did really well by me.

[I actually cringed when I heard my coworkers talk about watching The Proposal and Ghosts of Girlfriends Past today. I must be turning butch. Ugh.]


*choi*

As with all action movies, storyline takes a backseat, though so far, I can't really think of anything wrong with continuity and the usual nitpicky stuff I go through, except that the Baroness sounded like she had an English accent in the beginning, then progressed to an American one for the rest of the movie.

Having already known who's playing the eventual Cobra Commander, and having seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt since The Powers That Be, I totally shat a brick during Duke's (Channing Tatum) flashback sequence, where it turns out that Duke knew the CC, and he was actually the Baroness' biological brother!

When my eyebrows go to the top of my hairline, that means that I'm VERY surprised. For this, my jaw dropped. Just did not see that one coming.

That aside, one of the reason why I loved G.I. Joe was because of the actors. No, I'm not referring to the main cast, not that they were awful or anything.

I'm referring to the supporting cast, some of which came from one of my favourite movie series, The Mummy.

[And by that, I mean the first two. The third one is too shiteous to be included. Plus, it wasn't in Egypt.]

You got Brendan Fraser, ImhotepArnold Vosloo(!!), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Kevin J. O'Connor (for like, 10 seconds, but still!), actors whom I loved in The Mummy movies, and whom I haven't seen in quite a long while (except Fraser, 'cuz he was in the crappylast one, and Akinnuoye-Agbaje, who was on Lost for a while).

I got a HUGE kick outta seeing them. They should've brought Oded Fehr in as well :]

[And Jonathan Pryce has already played TWO Presidents; one in this movie, and the other was Juan Peron. I don't know whether he's played more or not, though, but I thought it's a fun fact to share :)]


Anyway, the special effects looked really cool, although it got video-gamey near the end, what with all the underwater fighting and all. For some reason, I was okay with that, seeing as I got pissed when The Scorpion King literally looked like the end-level Boss in the second Mummy movie.

Final verdict: Loved it. A sequel is already announced, but not sure whether Stephen Sommers will be back or not.


[By the way peoples, I saw the trailer for
A Perfect Getaway before the movie. You know the couple the cops are looking for? I'm guessing it's Steve Zahn and Milla Jovovich, since Zahn is a more of a comedy actor, and audiences will be BLOWN AWAY when it turns out he's a psychopath. I'm not even gonna bother Wiki-ing this.]

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment