Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Number 23 (2007)

I saw this movie a few weeks back; thought I'd share :)

It's about this guy who discovers that his life is mirrored in the book (aptly titled The Number 23) that his wife buys him for his birthday. His life begins to unravel as he, like the main character in the book, begins to see numerical variations of the number 23 everywhere.

Four words: Great concept, draggy execution.

Despite not liking Numb3rs, I'm a Math geek, and I've been looking forward to the movie (on TV anyways) for a while now. Although it's very interesting to see Jim Carrey's life go to pieces and him not getting any worthwhile answers, it was a bit slow at first, and things only picked up from the middle onwards.

For one thing, the dog was kinda pointless. I get that whole 'Guardian of the Undead' thing, but I felt it wasn't necessary. Walter could've gotten to know about Laura Tollins without said dog getting in the way that often. Hence, the end quote ""Be sure that your sins will find you out."

Also, why would Virginia Madsen (who plays Carrey's wife) be having a knife in her purse?? I was wondering whether it'd come from the old guy who committed suicide (he slit his own throat), but it doesn't make sense that way because she'd have to wipe the BLOOD off the knife first before putting it in her bag, and that's withholding evidence. If she'd wanted to protect herself, she could've gotten a GUN (which, in movies like these, are always conveniently at hand off-screen) from Danny Huston or something. That would be more effective than a knife.

As I mentioned before, I loved the concept, but the movie itself was TOO complicating (yeah, I can't believe I typed that either) to the point that some bits didn't make sense. Plus, the ending was a bit of a let-down, since the movie was really intense once it got into the swing of things.

EDIT: I just realised something. My flight was on April 19th. 19 + 4 = 23.

*cue music from Psycho*

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment