Thursday, August 14, 2014

R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951 - 2014)

I glimpsed the headline yesterday, while looking up random Sherlock crap. My heart just sank.

I clicked the link, read the article, hoped it was fake, Googled, and finally, reluctantly, accepted it as sad truth.

This is a guy I grew up on. Aladdin, Hook, Mrs Doubtfire, Jumanji, these are movies I watched over and over again as a child and never once failed to enjoy each viewing an ounce less.

I knew him first as a comedic actor, but gradually relished seeing him in more dramatic albeit villainous characters. There's something unsettling and unnerving when he's in these roles, and it's not because a comedian is trying a hand at being serious, it's just that he does dark really well.

It saddens me to think that maybe he did dark too well.

I don't see him much these days, although there's so many Law and Order: Special Victims Unit re-runs that I've seen that one episode he's in at least three times. And occasionally I’d channel-surf onto The Crazy Ones. Every once in a while there’d be a slew of re-runs of his movies, but not recently.

I've never did get around to thinking that people in showbiz are mortal just as we are, so even natural deaths (at really, really old ages) still surprise me.

But something like this... never could I have expected that this is the way he would go.

[The above picture is from JuicyJCosplay on Instagram, and I would’ve embedded the whole post but I can't get the putz of the embed code to work and I’m too depressed to Google for the solution.]

Rest in peace, Robin McLaurin Williams. Hope you're in a better place now.

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment