Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Traffic.

My area just had 19 roads re-routed to one way due to 'traffic congestion'.

Yes, 19. Might as well just relocate the lot of us while they're at it, amiright?

Previously, driving back home is pretty much cut and dry. Now, I have to go round the freaking mulberry bush (so to speak), go through some side lanes and back alleys, before I can reach home.

So it is with a fair amount of glee when I see newspaper write-ins saying that traffic conditions are worst than ever, especially during peak hours because before this, the major roads are two-way. Now, those roads only go in one direction, and you have absolutely no other avenue to which you can weave through or find shortcuts in, because those previously-available avenues (read: roads) are now one-way.

For me, if it ain't broke, don't bloody fix it.

Yes, we complain about traffic jams, but then who doesn't? With so many out-of-towners flocking here with their cars and taking up our parking space, it has become a common fact of life that, no matter where you go on the island, you'd be bumper-to-bumper at some point.

Yet, some-inexplicably-how, people will try to do just that. People will try to bring change when there is no change needed. And in the process, cause irreparable damage.

The thing is, I need to work late at times. With this new system, I'm forced to use a longer route to get home, which in turn, means that I get to spend more time commuting.

By myself. At night. In a tin can. Whoop-dee-doo.

This system is on a three-month trial-run, a period which I believe will be extended because even the bus routes got changed.

I mean, this is like a major re-haul of our locale here. What did we do to the powers-that-be to warrant such an 'initiative'? By right, for big changes like these, you should survey the residents affected and see what the majority is. You can't just go ahead and implement something like this willy-nilly, without regard for what the people affected actually think.

The only upside to this entire crapfest is that I now know my roads far, far better than I used to. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to reach home in the quickest possible way, which is still longer than my usual way.

This is only Day 5.

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment