Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tron (1982) and Tron: Legacy (2010)

Dubble Revs! And...

*no spoilers*

Let's start with the second one, since I saw it first.

Tron: Legacy (2010)

"Holy crapnuggets, is that Cillian Murphy?!"
But I digress.

Tron: Legacy has the most unbelievably meh storyline ever. It's not awful; it just doesn't keep you riveted. I went to see it for my office's Movie Night, and I heard some of my colleagues dozed off. Myself, I was awake, but then again, I'm a graphics geek.

Because the graphics were totally awesome. Seriously. Throughout the movie I was thinking, "Damn, I should be watching this in 3D."

The lightcycle/jet scenes, the moving platform bit, the art direction in general... all of it looked absolutely beautiful. And the soundtrack! The other saving grace of the movie. And oddly, reminiscent of Inception.

Now, we move on to the first one.

Tron (1982)

Having lived with the impression that this movie doesn't deserve my time (based on this TV commercial I saw 10-15 years ago), it wasn't as bung-lame as I thought it'd be; in fact, I enjoyed it. Storyline-wise is far more interesting and a lot better than Legacy.

While watching this, I was actually hoping that they had remade Tron, instead of filming a sequel, because the graphics would've looked absolutely glorious if updated. But at any rate, having both movies from different eras made for interesting, if not nostalgic, comparison. I was reminded of Arashi, this arcade game that had you circling the top of this pit while alien ships came at you from its bottom.

[I sucked at it.]

After finally watching Tron, I came to accept that Jeff Bridges really was in this movie (even though Legacy made it most obvious that he was). Most of all, I enjoyed looking at a very young Bruce Boxleitner, who plays the eponymous Tron, as he was way, way prettier than Jeff Bridges ever was.

Swoon.

0 comebacks:

Post a Comment